Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer White #5

One of my favorite wineries on the the Central Coast is Domaine Alfred. Their organic vineyard is located in the heart of the Edna valley and for the last several years has put out some excellent examples of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

When I found their Stainless Chardonnay on sale for $9.99 at Trader Joes I was at once surprised and excited. I remember their regular Chardonnay being amazing, but expensive at about the $25 mark. So I bought the bottle without hesitation and opened it up with some summer veggies and tofu.

The color was very pale in comparsion your typical chardonnay. The nose was both fruity and floral, which reminded me of rosehips, cucumbers and honeydew. The palate was bright, almost to a fault, with a limelike zing to the finish. Their was a peculiar aftertaste which I did not particularly care for.

Overall this was a bit dissapointing given my memories of their standard Chard, but still a decent buy for those interested in the nuances of unoaked Chardonnay. I'd prefer several of the other wines tasted this summer when given the choice. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment