Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Back to White Wine


I'm a vegetarian at least 5 days a week. In my humble opinion white wine is generally a better partner to the vegetarian fare I consume, especially in the summer when food is lighter in nature. As I've mentioned in previous posts I'm currently hunting for the ultimate summer white wine to enjoy out on the patio or in the park for a reasonable price. To date the best value wine I've tasted is the 2006 Le Chetau Vouvray which is an amazing wine for $5.99, go buy some now.

This week I'll be reviewing a 2006 Estate AV Chardonnay made by the good people up at Handely Cellars in Arnderson Valley, CA. I've been a member of the cellar club for a little over a year and I've always found their white wines to be incredible values when compared with some of their counterparst both in the Anderson Valley and in other regions to the south ( ie. Napa, Sonoma, Monterrey, SLO and Santa Barbara). Their alsatian varietals are always top notch and their Water Tower White is one the better value white blends I've ever tasted. On our last trip up their I picked up a bottle of the Estate Chardonnay on a whim and have been itching to try it.

In the glass the color is a perfect straw tone. The nose reveals deep notes of pears, raw almonds, vanilla and a touch of oak. The palate continues in that vein and reveals mild citrus and spice notes to complement the nose. Where this wine really shines is in it's depth of body and creamy mouthfeel. The malolactic fermentation is ideal providing excellent weight, but not overshadowing the fruit. It's finish lingers for a while and is a perfect wine to sit and ruminate on.

I like this wine a lot and would reccomment to most people. However at $18 I get a little less excited about it. Most of Handley's other wines are a better value at $8-$14. But that being said, good Chardonnay is always more expensive than other white varietals. 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment